Applied Biology Technician
The College is changing platforms for registration applications.
The new platform for registration applications is now available for access. Scroll to the bottom of the page to begin an application!
If you have applied for registration on or before July 24, 2020, you will have been sent an email with links to access the previous application forms. We request that you use those forms to complete your application.
Please contact Derek Marcoux, Registrar with any questions: [email protected]
COVID-19 Update: Applications are being processed as normal. Please do not hesitate to submit application requirements during this time.
Applicants for membership are required to successfully complete Part A and Part B below. For details on the College Rules pertaining to membership, see Schedule 3 of the College Rules. For further details of application requirements and information on the ABT scope of practice, see the Applied Biology Technician Information Bulletin.
Part A – Credentials Review
The College accepts electronic submission of application documents only. Transcripts and international credential evaluations must be mailed directly from the institution to the College of Applied Biology.
Once all documentation has been received, applications are assessed by the Credentials Committee and the Registrar. The College will email the applicant when the application has been forwarded for review.
Applied Biology Technician Application Requirements
Application Form and Fee
- The application form provides details regarding an applicant’s background as well as contact information
- Payment of the application fee is mandatory for the application to be reviewed
- An incomplete application will remain open for one year from the date of application
Indictable Offence Declaration
- See the Indictable Offence Policy for more information
- Successful completion of a certificate with a minimum of 200 hours of instruction, or meeting one of the other options as set out in Section 6, in Schedule 3 of the College Rules
- Official transcripts must be mailed directly from all post-secondary institutions where you completed courses, including the institution(s) showing credentials granted, to:
College of Applied Biology
#210 - 852 Fort Street
Victoria BC V8W 1H8
- Electronic transcripts are accepted only if they are accessed directly by the College of Applied Biology Registrar through a secure site offered by the granting institution
- Internationally educated applicants (outside Canada and the United States):
4. Course Descriptions
- The College has accredited several post-secondary programs to ensure they meet the academic requirements for entry. See College accredited programs. Applicants from accredited programs are only required to submit courses descriptions for conditional courses
- All applicants from non-accredited programs are required to submit detailed course descriptions, compiled into one document and emailed to the College
5. Work Experience Worksheet
- Applicants must have 1 year of work (post certificate) in applied biology within the previous 5 years (3 years of work in applied biology if applying under Stream 3 - refer to section 6.3.1 of Schedule 3 of the College Rules)
6. Confidential Reference Forms
- References are required from 1 individual who has known the applicant for a minimum of 6 months and who is knowledgeable about their professional experience as a biologist (2 references if applying under Stream 3 - refer to section 6.3.2 of Schedule 3 of the College Rules)
- It is preferred if the references are registered professionals; however, this is not mandatory
- Referees are to submit online through the Confidential Reference Form
Part B – Professional Ethics Course
- The College will notify the applicant of the outcome of the assessment by email
- If approved, the applicant is to complete the College online course in professional ethics within one year of approval, prior to full membership. The cost of the course is $200
- See Professional Ethics Requirement for more information and to register for the course