Biologist in Training
*New Biologist in Training (BIT) and Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) entrance requirements will be in effect January 1, 2020. Applications received after this date will be assessed under the new standards.
Applicants for membership are required to successfully complete Part A and Part B below. For details on the College Rules pertaining to membership, see Schedule 3.
Part A – Credentials Review
The College accepts electronic submission of application documents only. See Application Forms for a full list of forms available. Transcripts and international credential evaluations must be mailed directly from the institution to the College of Applied Biology.
Once all documentation has been received, applications are assessed by the Credentials Committee and the Registrar. The College will email the applicant when the application has been forwarded for review.
Biologist in Training Application Requirements
Application Form and Fee
- The application form provides details regarding an applicant's background as well as contact information
- Payment of the application fee is mandatory for the application to be reviewed
- An incomplete application will remain open for one year from the date of application
- This form is a guide to applicants on how their academic background meets requirements for entry into the College. Applicants must meet academic requirements regardless of work experience
- The College has accredited several post-secondary programs to ensure they meet the academic requirements for entry. See College accredited programs
- See Schedule 3 of the College Rules regarding academic requirements
- A course is defined as occurring over 1 semester, which includes at least 3 lecture or lab hours per week
Course Descriptions Form
- All applicants from non-accredited programs are required to submit the course descriptions form
- Applicants from accredited programs are only required to submit course descriptions for conditional courses not specifically listed under College accredited programs
- Official transcripts must be mailed directly from the institution where the credential was granted to:
College of Applied Biology
#210 - 852 Fort Street
Victoria BC V8W 1H8
- Electronic transcripts are accepted only if they are accessed directly by the College of Applied Biology Registrar through a secure site offered by the granting institution
- Internationally educated applicants (outside Canada and the United States):
Part B – Professional Ethics Course
- The College will notify the applicant of the outcome of the assessment by email
- If approved, the applicant is to complete the College online course in professional ethics within one year of approval, prior to full membership. The cost of the course is $200
- See Professional Ethics Requirement for more information and to register for the course