Registered Biology Technologist
The College is changing platforms for registration applications.
The new platform for registration applications is now available for access. Scroll to the bottom of the page to begin an application!
If you have applied for registration on or before July 24, 2020, you will have been sent an email with links to access the previous application forms. We request that you use those forms to complete your application.
Please contact Derek Marcoux, Registrar with any questions: [email protected]
COVID-19 Update: Applications are being processed as normal. Please do not hesitate to submit application requirements during this time.
Applicants for membership are required to successfully complete Part A and Part B below. For details on the College Rules pertaining to membership, see Schedule 3 of the College Rules. For guidance on the scope of independent practice for RBTechs, see Schedule 5 of the College Rules.
Part A – Credentials Review
The College accepts electronic submission of application documents only. Transcripts and international credential evaluations must be mailed directly from the institution to the College of Applied Biology.
Once all documentation has been received, applications are assessed by the Credentials Committee and the Registrar. The College will email the applicant when the application has been forwarded for review.
RBTech Application Requirements
Application Form and Fee
- The application form provides details regarding an applicant’s background as well as contact information
- Payment of the application fee is mandatory for the application to be reviewed
- An incomplete application will remain open for one year from the date of application
Indictable Offence Declaration
- See the Indictable Offence Policy for more information
- Academic Self-Assessment
Course Descriptions Form
All applicants from non-accredited programs are required to submit the course descriptions form
- All applicants from non-accredited programs are required to submit the course descriptions form
- Course Descriptions Form
- Official transcripts must be mailed directly from all post-secondary institutions where you completed courses, including the institution(s) showing credentials granted, to:
College of Applied Biology
#210 - 852 Fort Street
Victoria BC V8W 1H8
- Electronic transcripts are accepted only if they are accessed directly by the College of Applied Biology Registrar through a secure site offered by the granting institution
- Internationally educated applicants (outside Canada and the United States):
- Work Experience Worksheet
- Applicants must have 2 years of work in applied biology that demonstrates professional level judgment and discretion
- A CV may be attached to the worksheet
- Volunteer Experience - the College recognizes the value of volunteer experience and will credit up to 5 months towards the 2 years required. A Volunteer Work Experience form must be completed before credit can be granted
- Data Reports Worksheet and Upload
- Indicate by page numbers where in each report the criteria is met
- If the applicant is not the primary author of a report, the primary author must submit a Data Report Authorship Declaration identifying the areas for which the applicant was responsible
- Reports must be in English
- Reports completed for undergraduate course work will not be accepted (including Honours BSc thesis)
- Confidential Reference Forms
- References are required from 2 individuals who have known the applicant for a minimum of 6 months and who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s experience as a biologist
- Only 1 of the 2 references may be from the applicant’s current employer
- It is preferred if the references are from registered professionals; however, this is not mandatory
- Referees are to submit online through the Confidential Reference Form
Part B – Professional Ethics Course
- The College will notify the applicant of the outcome of the assessment by email
- If approved, the applicant is to complete the College online course in professional ethics within one year of approval, prior to full membership. The cost of the course is $200
- See Professional Ethics Requirement for more information and to register for the course