Upgrade – BIT to RPBio
The College is changing platforms for registration applications.
The existing site and links will be taken off line on Friday July 24, 2020 at 4PM. The new platform for registration applications will be available for access approximately August 12, 2020. Please check the College website at that time for further details.
If you have applied for registration on or before July 24, 2020, you will be sent an email with links to access the previous application forms. We request that you use those forms to complete your application.
Please contact Shona Lawson, Registrar with any questions: [email protected]
*New Biologist in Training (BIT) and Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) entrance requirements are in effect January 1, 2020. Applications received after this date will be assessed under the new standards. If you applied prior to January 1, links to the appropriate forms will be emailed to you. You may contact the office with any questions.
Biologist in Training (BIT) to Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio)
- Upgrade Application Form
- Payment of the application fee is mandatory for the application to be reviewed
- An incomplete application will remain open for one year from the date of application
- Indictable Offence Declaration
- See the Indictable Offence Policy for more information
- Work Experience Worksheet
- Upgrade applicants must have 3 years of work experience in applied biology that demonstrates professional level judgment and discretion. Up to 7 months of work experience may be volunteer. The College form itemizes the competencies required
- A CV may be attached to the worksheet
- Professional Reports Worksheet and Upload
- Indicate by page numbers where in each report the criteria is met
- See the Report Guidelines for details on report criteria
- If the applicant is not the primary author of a report, the primary author must submit a Report Authorship Declaration identifying the areas for which the applicant was responsible
- Reports must be submitted in English
- Reports completed for undergraduate course work will not be accepted (including Honours BSc thesis)
Risk Assessment Reports
- Reports written for Risk Assessments must meet specific criteria to qualify as a report in applied biology. See Risk Assessment Report Guidelines
- For applicants whose employment does not provide opportunities to generate a report that meets the College's requirements, a Self-Directed Report may be accepted. See the Self-Directed Report Form or contact the Registrar
- Scientific Communication
- Applicants must submit one example of work in which they communicated scientific concepts to a lay audience
- Confidential Reference Forms
- References are required from 3 individuals who have known the applicant for a minimum of 6 months and who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s experience as a biologist and can attest to the applicant’s competencies
- Referees are required to describe the applicant’s skills and abilities in specific competency areas
- Only 2 of the 3 references may be from the applicant’s current employer
- It is preferred if the references are from registered professionals; however, this is not mandatory at this time
- Referees are to submit online through the Confidential Reference Form