College Conference & AGM
Registration has now closed. Save the dates for the 2019 College of Applied Biology Annual Conference which will be held April 4–5, 2019 in Victoria.
See Conference Program for list of topics and speakers!
The College of Applied Biology and the Association of Professional Biology will jointly hold their annual conferences at the Westin Wall Centre in Richmond, April 5-6, 2018. Members can choose to attend both events while keeping travel costs down.
The Association will hold the 2018 Annual Professional Biology Conference and AGM, APB Awards Banquet, and tradeshow on Thursday April 5th. The theme for the APB Conference is "Emerging Science and Shifting Challenges: Looking Beyond Wildlife Policy".
The College of Applied Biology will open with a Meet and Greet on Thursday evening April 5th to celebrate 15 years of regulating applied biology, followed by The College of Applied Biology AGM & Conference on Friday April 6th. This year's theme is "Professional Reliance: Shaping the Future".
Members will have the opportunity to participate in both conferences through a live web broadcast. On Saturday April 7th, both organizations will offer CPD training workshops for interested members (in person only).
College CPD Workshop
April 7th 9:00-12:00 pm: Creating an Indigenous Engagement Plan (Instructor: Bob Joseph, Indigenous Corporate Training Inc). Includes coffee break, lunch not included.
- Learn the essential steps to develop an Indigenous engagement plan
- Determine the purpose and objectives of the engagement plan based on your specific project or initiative
- Create community profiles to gain a preliminary understanding of the communities’ interests
- Learn to assess the level of engagement for each Aboriginal/Indigenous group
- Learn to identify appropriate people to start the engagement process with
- Review various methods to conduct consultation activities
- Prepare for dealing with common issues that may be barriers to achieving meaningful engagement, like capacity building
- Receive a copy of a workbook to guide you through the process
April 7th 9:00-12:00 pm: Using Science Communications Principles to Improve Science Technical Writing and Visualization.
April 7th 1:00pm – 4:00pm: A Primer on Monitoring and Inventory Best Practices for Amphibians and Reptiles.
To register for APB workshops, click here.
Accommodation:The Westin Wall Centre is located at 3099 Corvette Way, Richmond, BC. The Westin Wall Centre offers a free airport shuttle from YVR and is located near the Canada line for easy access to downtown Vancouver. To book a room, visit the hotel website.